Friday, March 5, 2010

Computers in education?

Take Back the Afternoon:
Preserving the Landscape of Childhood In Spite of Computers
by David Sobel

http://www.newhorizons.org/strategies/technology/sobel.htm

This article is making visible the negative side of technology. The author wants you to limit your children from using computers at such a young age. Sobel mentions how some companies are trying to get computers into the hands of 4 year old's so they can pick out their consumer trends for the next sixty years. Now that is way to young.

Flash back!

Going through my youth, I remember that spelling was never my strong suit and spell check wasn't on my computer. Teachers would always have me lose points because I had so many spelling errors. Thinking to today's elementary students, if they are raised to go and use spell check on everything as apposed to purely hand written, then won't their spelling skills be drastically poorer then the generation that didn't have technology?

-

Back to the first day of w200 I thought 'why do children need to be preoccupied by technology when they take advantage of the world around them?' Though I think many of the tools I have learned about have been quiet useful and efficient, I don't think super young children should be distracted from the natural exploration of the world. They have plenty of years ahead of them to use computers so why ruin that time of purity they have as youngster?

No comments:

Post a Comment