Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Phonics vs. Whole Words

The debate drags on and on!

Flashback!
As a child, I could never read books like my peers could. I tried a bunch of different programs like Hooked on Phonics and Leap Frog systems and even had private tutors from 1st grade till 8th grade. I would have done anything to be able to read like my friends could.

Recently I heard of My Baby Can Read! This The company showed videos of children reading at young ages. I was blown away like any other human being would. They said that because a child soaks in all their verbal skills and words as an infant, that this would be a crucial time for children to learn. The show that this program will put your child on a jump start to success!

So one parent had a whole lot to say about this program. "Yes children who use whole word may read sooner than kids who learn with phonics, but in the long run they pay a very big price. They do not know how to decode words and spell - they can only half read - easily skimming over words they think they have memorized and never gaining full comprehension of what they are reading. Yes whole word will give your child confidence in reading, but it will be bad confidence and hard to correct later on."

http://www.epinions.com/kifm-review-F50-5791DC-38C97B3A-prod4

She is saying that memorizing the words now will hurt students in the future. The way they know how to 'read' is by memorizing patterns of words as apposed to learning how to read the words (phonics). She is saying though it seems great now, students in the future will know more site words then none site words and miss out on the reading as a whole.

On my side of the story, youth is something that we don't have enough time to enjoy. Let kids be kids! I know I wish I could go back to having no responsibility and playing all day. This is why I want to be a teacher, I want to feel like a kid again that has a good head on their shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment